Re: Dimmable LEDs (GU10s)

  • Subject: Re: Dimmable LEDs (GU10s)
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 21:12:39 -0000

Well, Rymans had these set up in a rig with a dimmer switch that you
could =
play with.  All I can say is they certainly did dim up/down just like
norma=
l GU10 lamps.  No worrying buzzing, flickering and they run cool too (took
=
one out of the fitting to look at it). I was pretty surprised myself.=20=20

It was a bog standard twist on/off dimmer switch and not anything
'automata=
ble'.

I'm trying to source a few of 40degree beam warm whites at the lower
(=A340=
end) so I can play with an X10 LD10 unit.  They do seem to be a bit hard t=
o get hold of at present - supplies on some sites say October.=20

I did buy a couple of GU10 3w non dimmable led bulbs from another mfr
(i.e.=
not these philips ones) at the same visit to put in some non dimming spots=
. These are meant to be 35w.  We have used them for a day - opinion so
far.=
.. complete and utter c**p.  Certainly not 35w equivalent, beam too narrow
=
and an unpleasantly harsh blue white.  =A338 wasted - this going green
lark=
is a bit expensive...

I note the Philips 7w units are said to be 35w equivalent.  Certainly
looks=
more likely than those 3w ones.  The philips ones have 4 LEDs in them.  Pl=
aying with them, I turned them up to full power and had 4 spots blasted
ont=
o my retina for a few seconds...

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Ray Kelly" <raymondtkelly@...>
wrote:

> Yes I've been studying these and they do look non dimmable.
> Various places sell them and the descriptions vary
> I don't want to spend 40/50 quid to find out!!
> Anyone feeling brave=20
> Sent using BlackBerry=C2=AE from Orange
>=20
tebulbs.co.uk/documents/philipsled.pdf) describes the range as >non<
dimmab=
le !? (last line on the bottom of the product table).
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
Simon Pawson
> Sent: 21 July 2009 20:31
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Dimmable LEDs (GU10s)
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
>=20=20=20
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> Does the fact that these LEDs and some CFLs are dimmable mean that
they=20
> can be controlled by automation though? I thought one of the issues
were=
=20
> that some types of timeswitrch and electronic switch power themselves
by=
=20
> putting a trickle current through the incandescent load which
causes=20
> problems for "modern" lighting?
>=20
> I've a few (non-HA) security timeswitches that I'd like to move to
CFL=20
ggy <rb.lists@... <mailto:rb.lists%40ntlworld.com>
>=20
> writes
> >=20
> >I know this has been the topic of some threads in the past...
> >
> >I've been hoping for a while that dimmable LED lamps would appear
on the
> >market (given that I've 50 odd GU10s, mostly on dimmable and
automated
> >circuits). Well I popped into a Ryness store today and saw some
new
> >Philips lamps on a live display.
> >Found the following link with the details of the same things:
> >
> >http://www.litebulbs.co.uk/product/22615/philips--master-led-gu10-7w-dim=
mable-warm-white-40d-philips-master-led-gu10-7w-dimmable-warm-white-
> >40d.aspx
> >I was very impressed. Although these are rated at 7W, 35W
equivalent,
> >these bulbs looked very bright to me (I couldn't look at them) and
they
> >dimmed just like a normal GU10 with a very nice colour.
> >
> >They seem to be designed to fit into recessed ceiling fittings as
they a=
re
> >deeper than standard GU10s but that's fine for 40 of my fittings.
For ot=
her
> >fittings, probably look a bit wierd.
> >
> >They seem to be priced between =C2=A340-50 each at present. At
this, I w=
ont
> >be rushing out to spend =C2=A32,000 worth but I think I'll try out
a few=
in a
> >heavily used area to see how they go.
> >
> >Looks like, at last, we will be able to get properly 'automatable'
quali=
ty

Date:=20