Re: Help, three optical inputs - matrix switcher? converter? toslink switch?

  • Subject: Re: Help, three optical inputs - matrix switcher? converter? toslink switch?
  • From: "noel_pilot" <noel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 16:40:59 -0000

For info, I'm possibly looking at one of these

http://tinyurl.com/llq2b8

6x2 component switcher, thought I'd post the link in case anyones
interested. Not found a way to get it to the UK yet but a post on avforums
said someone had imported it so must be way!

Would then combine this with a optical to analog converter like...  http://tinyurl.com/m7dkwr getting into
more than I really wanted to pay but does at least give me some future
proofing with the proper matrix switching albeit component not hdmi but im
a long way from needing that.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "noel_pilot" <noel@...> wrote:

> Looks interesting, might be able to do part of the job. Cheers both.
>
> The statement:
>
> Each input connection will only correspond to the matching output
connection.
> For example, a Component Video cable attached to Component Video Input
1 can only be viewed via the
> Component Video Output Socket and cannot be displayed via the S-Video,
Composite Video or Stereo
> Audio RCA Output Sockets
>
> Is very similar to the info I was finding in the amp manuals.  This
joytech box could handle the switching for me, certainly making the whole
process easier then would just need a converter to take the toslink optical
output into analog to go into the tv.

> Either that or has anyone got an amp/receiver that they're looking to
sell, it's definitely sods law that I only just sold my old Marantz amp had
an issue with analogue inputs but worked fine with digital!!

> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Rob Mouser" <groups@> wrote:
> >
> > How about one of these?
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/cmemqy
> >
> > Rob

switcher?
> > > converter? toslink switch?
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > > Am in the process of putting a tv into the main bedroom with
cable runs
> > > in the walls down to the media cupboard in the lounge.
> > >
> > > Had it all planned out using the downstairs amp to switch
the video as
> > > it does now with just a component splitter on the output so
it would
> > > feed both the downstairs projector and the upstairs tv. A
stereo phono
> > > from the record output on the amp was to push sound to the
upstairs tv.

> > > Sources include a mac mini (video direct to tv, sound
optical into amp)
> > > and an xbox 360 video and sound through amp over component
and toslink.

> > > Alas I've just been foiled by the realisation that my amp
(and it seems
> > > most if not all others) doesn't output any digital inputs
from the
> > > analog record outputs.  (This now appears rather obvious to
me why it
> > > doesn't but hey ho).
> > >
> > > So... looking for some options.  I hadn't planned to use a
separate amp
> > > for the bedroom. Was going to just use the tv speakers.
However I now
> > > need to get two optical sources from the lounge to the
bedroom and keep
> > > them connected to lounge amp by optical also.

> > > 1 - a toslink splitter on each one, a toslink cable in the
wall and an
> > > amp upstairs receiving those signals and putting it into a
couple of
> > > speakers
> > >
> > > 2 - a toslink switcher but haven't seen any IR controlled
ones yet and
> > > the idea of having to use a manual switch is a bit annoying.
> > >
> > > 3 - a matrix switcher of some kind, ideally one that could
convert
> > > optical to analog but that might be asking a lot and not
really looking
> > > to spend a great deal.  Have found a cables to go 6x2
component matrix