Re: Help, three optical inputs - matrix switcher? converter? toslink switch?

  • Subject: Re: Help, three optical inputs - matrix switcher? converter? toslink switch?
  • From: "noel_pilot" <noel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 06:37:45 -0000

I've gone for the second item in your post, combined with a impact
acoustic=
6x2 component video matrix switcher both from amazon.com.  Converter was $=
60 and the matrix $107, I've convinced a mate of a mate who's over there
to=
ship them to me using usps which will me just $40.
I've also taken the opportunity and gone for a logitech do novo edge mac
ed=
ition whilst I've got a shipment coming as that's not available over here.
=
Will post some info once I've got them
Thanks all

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Tim Hawes <timsyahoo@...> wrote:

> The headphone coverter here looks interesting, I haven't explored the
> other options discussed there though.
> http://forum.gefen.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3D1960
>=20
> Or this?
> http://www.hideflifestyle.com/gefen-extdigaud2aaud-p-1284.html?zenid=3D72=
673b8520d69dc0eb0772e7eb73cb3b
> or http://tinyurl.com/lv4g8l
> (Gefen p/n EXT-DIGAUD-2-AAUD)
>=20
> HTH,
>=20
> Tim.
>=20
>=20
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 12:58 PM, noel_pilot<noel@...> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Am in the process of putting a tv into the main bedroom with
cable runs=
in the walls down to the media cupboard in the lounge.

> > Had it all planned out using the downstairs amp to switch the
video as =
it does now with just a component splitter on the output so it would feed
b=
oth the downstairs projector and the upstairs tv. A stereo phono from the
r=
ecord output on the amp was to push sound to the upstairs tv.

> > Sources include a mac mini (video direct to tv, sound optical
into amp)=
and an xbox 360 video and sound through amp over component and toslink.

> > Alas I've just been foiled by the realisation that my amp (and it
seems=
most if not all others) doesn't output any digital inputs from the analog =
record outputs. =A0(This now appears rather obvious to me why it doesn't
bu=
t hey ho).

> > So... looking for some options. =A0I hadn't planned to use a
separate a=
mp for the bedroom. Was going to just use the tv speakers. =A0However I
now=
need to get two optical sources from the lounge to the bedroom and keep th=
em connected to lounge amp by optical also.

> > 1 - a toslink splitter on each one, a toslink cable in the wall
and an =
amp upstairs receiving those signals and putting it into a couple of
speake=
rs

> > 2 - a toslink switcher but haven't seen any IR controlled ones
yet and =
the idea of having to use a manual switch is a bit annoying.

> > 3 - a matrix switcher of some kind, ideally one that could
convert opti=
cal to analog but that might be asking a lot and not really looking to
spen=
d a great deal. =A0Have found a cables to go 6x2 component matrix that
woul=
d do all but the converting for around $130 but not sure yet if I can get
i=
t shipped to the UK.

> > I have 5 spare cat 5 runs in the wall and plenty of string so
running m=
ore cables isn't a real problem. =A0As it's something I completely hadn't
c=
onsidered cost is an issue, happy to consider second hand options.