File access permissions on SMB NAS drives

  • Subject: File access permissions on SMB NAS drives
  • From: "keyvan2r" <k1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:32:27 -0000

Hi All

I wonder if anyone can help me here: I have a buffalo NAS drive (firmware
3.2 - latest I think) which I use to store my ripped DVD collection (all
rips from legally purchased original disks). I use PLEX as the front end on
Mac mini's. I rip from both pc's and mac's on the network (using DVD Fab on
pc and Mac the ripper). MTR is very good for ripping TV shows in .vob for
use in Plex.
My problem is that even though I have set the Buffalo box shared folder
with no access limitations, it seems that when ripping from the mac's (imac
or mini) they have their own file attributes so the files are not
accessable from other computers on the network.
Is there a way to solve this? May be a utlity for unix file permissions?
Windows will not set/change file permission on the files which live on the
NAS.
Any assistance or advice would be most appreciated....

Thanks