Re: OT: Electricity generation

  • Subject: Re: OT: Electricity generation
  • From: "Paul Bendall" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:58:21 -0000

You've opened up a minefield here!

The current batch of Wind Turbines seem to achieve only about 33% of
their stated maximum power output overtime. In addition if they are
sited in a urban / semi-urban location or near trees this creates
turbulance which the the current horizontal turbines don't like.

For a while now vertical turbine's have been poo-pooed as
inefficient. They work much better in turbulant air so although the
top output is lower than horizontal in practice they may work out
better. However, I am not aware of a domestic version currently
available.

So what else do we have? You could replace your boiler with a micro-
generation model that is part conventional heating and also a
electricity generator. These use a stirling engine to take the energy
from the waste gases used by the conventional heater part of the
boiler. I believe PowerGen have such a unit which is called Whisper.
Again the current feeling is they are prone to breaking, have a high
intial cost and don't live up to the claims.

That leaves us with photovoltaic cells or PVC's which is what most
people think of as solar panels. If you are only after a few hundred
watts then these are probably the best option. But then you have to
consider that they normal generate power when you don't want light so
you have to store the energy they produce for use when you do want
it. That means batteries and usually 24v deep-cycle batteries (car
batteries are not great at going from full charge to low charge back
to full-charge).

The situation with PVCs and battery technology is rapidly changing,
PVCs are getting cheaper to produce as well as more efficient
(currently the best are around 20%). New battery technology such as
Li-ION or even hydrogen cells (I never understand why people think
Hydrogen is a fuel) make storing power much easier and efficient.

All in all a lot to consider and huge compromise. If you are thinking
of doing it to save moeny, chances are you won't unless you consider
payback over 20 years. If you want to do it as a demo of what can be
done then go for it.

Most of the above I have learnt over the last few years, but also
check out the forums or magazine on www.newbuilder.co.uk (don't be
put off by the "Green" as most of the guys are realists and
you'll
even see them discussing nuclear power as an option)

HTH

Paul
--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Brad Salmon" <bradsalmon@...>