PS3 Media Server

  • Subject: PS3 Media Server
  • From: "Paul Bendall" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:43:57 -0000

Morning all,

Thought I would share a discovery with you. I love GB-PVR as my main
media server and TV distribution. The implementation with Popcorn
Hour is fantastic as a client. But I also have a PS3 which is not
catered for with GB-PVR, but I'd still like to use it for video
playback.

I've read the forums and the the normal approach seems to be to use
TVersity. However I spent days trying to get this to work and
transcode without any joy. I turned to Vista MediaPlayer which the
PS3 could see but refused to play the MP4 files (seems a lot of
people are having issues with streaming MP4 to PS3 after the last
firmware revision).

I was doing some browsing at work yesterday and as so often happens
disvovered another product which I installed last night. I am glad to
report it works straight away without any problems, better still it
will transcode my existing MKV files so I don't have to rip to MKV
and MP4. So if anyone else is wanting a solution check out:

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

Paul