Re: Universal Remote Control

  • Subject: Re: Universal Remote Control
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 16:59:58 -0000

I'm in a similar position in needing to replace a couple of 890
Prontos that have been working for seven years.  Getting a bit
battered now but I'm sort of dreading replacing as they work well but
the backs are stuck on with sticky tape and it won't be long...

So a couple of questions:
- First where can you buy a TSU9600 or TSU9400 (I like the look of the
latter.)  They seem to be just 'pro' sales now only.
- Second, If I move to Harmony, can the screen itself be programmed a
bit.  For example I need to send 'scene' X10 codes and I'd like to
label these on the screen (e.g. one button to say 'Lounge Reading'
another to 'Lounge Full' etc).

Thanks

Richard

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Keith Finnett" <groups@...> wrote:

> I've got both a Pronto 9600 and a Harmony One, both of which i've
had for
> 12-18 months.
>
> The Pronto is everything the One is not, and vice-versa. The Pronto is
> ultimately configurable, you can change everything, make it look
like you
> want it to look and ensure every action is precisely what is needed.
If you
> have unusual AV devices, it's no problem - just learn the code or
discrete.

> The One is only configurable so far, making it a bit annoying to set
up.
> Once it's working it's fine but I spent the best part of 3 months
getting it
> working right for my in-laws all house AV system. If you've got any
unusual
> kit, you'll be lucky to get it working right. I had to buy an IR to
RS232
> convertor to get a matrix switch working right.
>
> In terms of using the Pronto, it's all in how you set it up. The hard
> buttons are good and tactile, but if the stuff in the screen is
complex or
> hard to understand it may as well be a paper weight.
>
> So basically, my experience is that the Pronto costs 10x more and is
10x
> better to set up and use if it's configured well. If you have the
cash, get
> one and you won't be disappointed. If you don't and can live with
the basic
> setup and limitations of the Harmony remotes then they work very
well. Just
> don't expect them to be the same!
>
> Keith

Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109