HD Video Media Server - can they be made to work?

  • Subject: HD Video Media Server - can they be made to work?
  • From: craig <craigc.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 08:31:07 -0000

My current HD experience is being spoilt by the length of time it
takes for
my sony standalone BD player to boot, navigate menu, and start the movie
(2-3mins), I thought I might start dabbling in a media server to stream HD
content instead.

However reading the recent WHS post, and in particular Phil's forum post on
wegotsevered ;) , Im actually questioning how much time/effort/money has to
be spent in baby sitting/maintenance/troubleshooting a HD video media
server, and would my time/money be better spent on buying/renting and
watching films?

If its taken to the extreme, you could actually spend more time in
'maintaining' the video server, than you actually spend watching movies?

If I was watching a HD movie, it would be so annoying if it started
stuttering, even if it was for a few seconds. I think that would actually
be
worse than the 2-3 minute start time for a standalone BD player (for me).

So, has anyone actually given up with trying to get a HD video media server
to work, or do you just get to the point of no return, where you just have
to make it work because you have spent so much time and money on it?