Re: Re: Cheap'ish Touch Screen device

I *have* the maplin unit on my bench - my "todo pile".

Had a quick play with it, and it seems quite nice.

Ideally we'd like to find the chinese manufacturer to get them in bulk - if
anyone makes any progress on this front, I'd love to hear from you - -
think
of it as a BIG group buy ;-)

It's not *extremely* simple to make it run whatever you want, as large
parts
of the filesystem are stored in ROM. I got as far as disabling the default
UI, and having it boot into a web browser, to a page I'd preset.

Couldn't get it to start full screen - "Kiosk Mode" - and at that
point, i
had to put it on the back burner.

If anyone knows the reg-hack / tweak to get IE on CE (5) to launch
full-screen, there's a big thank you in it :-)

Happy to share what I've done (if A) it's appropriate, B)I can find my
notes).....off list if desired.

Cheers,

Rob

2009/12/3 simon.wellborne <simon.wellborne@xxxxxxx>

> I can't speak for the Maplin, but about a year ago I purchased a Mimo
740
> http://www.mimomonitors.com/ which
has now been superseded by the Imo
> Pivot.
>
> These USB monitors have built in webcam, ports for speakers and mic,
> completely USB powered, can operate as primary or secondary/tertiary
> displays, Windows 7 compatible . . . . and the list goes on (I'm not a
Mimo
> salesman really).
>
> At present I just have a series of Windows 7 whidgets displayed on the
> display. The intention is to mount the display on a wall away from the
PC
> and utilise it for system status, weather, kids chore list etc :-).
>
> They really are the ducks nuts (IMHO) because of their size, although
if
> you want larger then there is the Dell 21.5" multi touchscreen.
>
> Go buy one, you won't be disappointed.
>
> I guess the benefit of the Maplin, is that is totally self contained
(no
> need for the PC) but I can't see how you'd mount it without
fabricating your
> own bracket. Definitely has some cool factor about it tho!
>

> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx <ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>,
"briview"
> <briview@...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All
> >
> > Just spotted this touch screen device from Maplin on the
HotUKDeals site.

--
Rob Iles

Harmony - www.domialifestyle.com