Re: Selling an automated house?

  • Subject: Re: Selling an automated house?
  • From: "paul_watkin" <paul.watkin33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 20:14:16 -0000

HI Tim,

I have sold two houses that have been retrofitted with automation systems.

One was in Berkshire and was sold to a couple who worked in the IT industry
so they were fine with the automation and Cat5 wiring. All of it was very
discrete.

Second House had full CBUS (Saturns) as well as comfort alarm, electric
curtains, flood wired with cat5 etc. This was in a suburb of Bristol and
the estate agent actually recommmended taking out Comfort and replacing it
with a 50quid alarm as he felt Comfort would scare people. As it was the
sales particulars made no mention of the automation aspects and I certainly
didn't get a premium on the asking price.

Both houses had only commercial automation kit in them and all of the
networking gear was consumer oriented Leviton SMC gear from the US rather
than normal rack based patch panels etc

Current house has even more automation gear in it as well as ceiling
installed audio speakers in most rooms, my expectation is that when we come
to sell this house the automation will make no difference to the asking
price - The interior of the house is very contemporay and the automation
has been deliberatly made discrete to minimise any potential negativity.

Any automation you include in the sale of the house needs to be commercial
product that can be supported by someone else otherwise you will put people
off.

Cheers

Paul