Re: [ukha_d] owl/electrisave usb receiver (£18) - anyone got one?

Surely the additional cost of buying/running another PC 24/7, or
writing your own software (your time still costs something) and buying
the PC receiver is comparable to replacing it all with the (tried and
tested) Current Cost unit?

2009/8/15 Jon Payne <jgpayne@xxxxxxx>:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Thanks for the info. I was thinking of having another low power PC
runnin=
g 24/7, or just using my server, but would need to write some software.
Loo=
ks like a good cheap solution _if_ it can be interfaced with.

> Yes, I already have an sender unit (an electrisave unit from a couple
of =
years ago).

> Cheers,
> jon
>

> ________________________________
got o=
ne?

> I have one of these, however I've only used the supplied software.
=A0The=
software seems to use Flash to run (looks prety) but takes upto 20% of my =
machines CPU if its been running for a while.

> Could be wrong here...
> ...but I think it only records power usage when the software on the PC
is=
running. =A0Which is different to the currentcost unit, where by it record=
s the data, and the software accesses it.

> Do you already have an OWL sender unit (e.g. the one you get when you
pur=
chase the normal display. =A0The reason I ask is the USB unit relies on
tha=
t. =A0No sender, no data.

> Rob
> ________________________________

app=
)?

> I've got one of the original Electrisave monitors which I assume is
compa=
tible, I'm not interested in the owl receiver software but don't want to
bu=
y one only to find that I can't get data from it for use in my own app.
=A0=
Does anyone know if the receiver is 'pure' USB or is it just a serial to
US=
B type converter (in which case I assume I'll be able to get hold of the
da=
ta)?