Re: Logitech Squeeze Box Duet

  • Subject: Re: Logitech Squeeze Box Duet
  • From: "paul_watkin" <paul.watkin33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 14:45:46 -0000

so it appears the Duet and a Pronto 9600 is the route I want to take
and wi=
ll also if I use the RF extender thingy remove the need for me to put in a
=
Xantech IR kit.

Only problem thus far seems to be that the 9600 is no longer sold!!!
Anyone=
got any ideas where I can get one? The 9800, which i guess is the replacem=
ent, is eye wateringly expensive (=A31500) and that will not fly with SWMBO

Other question I have is which (Cheapish - this is going into a bedroom /
e=
nsuite here) AV amp has Digital inputs that can be switched to both Zone 1
=
and Zone 2? The Onkyo I have in the Lounge won't and didn't fall into the
c=
heap category!

Cheers=20

Paul

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Bov" <bov@...> wrote:

>=20
> Using the on-board volume control is fine if you are connecting to a
sepa=
rate analogue AMP, but I would not recommend it for a digital connection.
M=
ine is connected directly to a pair of Meridian DSP5200's and I can easily
=
tell if I the digital signal is not output at 100% - sounds poor compared
t=
o the usual excellent performance. Fortunately you can fix the digital
outp=
ut at 100%.=20=20
>=20
> That said, the remote is actually quite smart and has IR built in as
well=
as WiFi. It simply runs Linix so you can remote connect to it and do quite=
a few interesting things directly in the filesystem. I have added a menu f=
older for Meridian IR that controls power and volume, but it could send
any=
IR signal. But you do need line of sight. I seem to remember that the olde=
r/bigger SqueezeBox units have the ability to plug in an IR emitter and
the=
y can be controlled by the remote. It would be good if they had those IR
ou=
tputs on the Duet player too (and serial). But then I also have a Pronto
96=
00 which can control all of this from the one screen with ease anyway :-)
>=20
> Definitely recommend the Duet - I'll be buying some more for other
rooms =
soon...
>=20
>=20
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Rob Mouser" <groups@> wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone have a squeeze box duet?
> >=20
> > Yep
> >=20=20
> > > Logitech site says it can control an amp, I assume via IR
but how
> > > sophisticated is the control - can it change sources, switch
differen=
> > > speakers and the like or just simply control volume?
> >=20
> > There is no external IR on the duet. The controller (which I
don't have
> > btw) connects to the receiver via wi-fi. Each audio output
(analog and
> > digital) has volume control thus if connected to a power amp you
have
> > control of volume but that's it as far as I know.
> >=20
> > > I can't decide whether to get a 2 zone 5.1 amp and connect
it to that
> > > along wih other sources and use for both rooms assuming the
Duet can