Re: Logitech Squeeze Box Duet

  • Subject: Re: Logitech Squeeze Box Duet
  • From: "Bov" <bov@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 10:35:19 -0000

Using the on-board volume control is fine if you are connecting to a
separate analogue AMP, but I would not recommend it for a digital
connection. Mine is connected directly to a pair of Meridian DSP5200's and
I can easily tell if I the digital signal is not output at 100% - sounds
poor compared to the usual excellent performance. Fortunately you can fix
the digital output at 100%.

That said, the remote is actually quite smart and has IR built in as well
as WiFi. It simply runs Linix so you can remote connect to it and do quite
a few interesting things directly in the filesystem. I have added a menu
folder for Meridian IR that controls power and volume, but it could send
any IR signal. But you do need line of sight. I seem to remember that the
older/bigger SqueezeBox units have the ability to plug in an IR emitter and
they can be controlled by the remote. It would be good if they had those IR
outputs on the Duet player too (and serial). But then I also have a Pronto
9600 which can control all of this from the one screen with ease anyway :-)

Definitely recommend the Duet - I'll be buying some more for other rooms
soon...