RE: Re: Basic questions about "video streaming"

Phil

As the resident 'video streaming' guru, can I ask a few questions ?

Firstly - Lil Movies looks good, I shall also be giving this a go - also
its
written by one of the gods of the Pinball world, so cant be bad :)
Second - how do you rip your Blu-Rays ? - I currently convert the main
feature to .ts which creates a single 25-40gig file.
Third - Do you suffer from any slow downs/stuttering when playing hi-def
stuff - or is it a problem just with me - I cant work out if it due to my
Drobo being connected by USB to my old HTPC, or maybe my network switch.
Saturday I watched a rip of Ghost Town HD on A100 and it was great, then
watched Mummy 3 HD rip on A-100 which was perfect, yesterday I tried to
watch another HD rip and it was jumping/slowing generally looking crap on
the A-100, tried it in Plex and was marginally better, though still had a
couple of pauses and then a few seconds to catch itself up. This is totally
at odds with previous experience on A-100 as I've never had issues, though
I've yet to watch a HD film perfectly with Plex on a Mac Mini.
Fourth - Do you rip straight to the NAS or to a local drive first - wasn't
sure if its possible to do it that way.
Fifth - Thanks for the consultancy the cheque is in the post :)

Oh and I've now tried Boxee which seems a much better 'XMBC' solution for
the Mac - It's stripped away all the stuff I don't want in Plex and made it
far more intuative :)

Dean.