RE: Re: Basic questions about "video streaming"

> Phil
>
> Could I ask you how you converted to ISO from Video_ts stucture?

You can...

> I've ripped all my DVDs to video_ts and have been experiencing probs
in
> getting various players (including and especially Popcorn Hour) to
play
> these containers back.
>
> It would be great if there is a simple batch or even relatively quick
> way of 'recontainering' these dvd files to iso without having to re-
> rip.  As you sem to have a vast dvd collection I'm guessing you didn't
> re-rip everything???

Feck no! At the time there were about 800 movies to convert and re-ripping
them from the originals would have taken far too long (plus, if you head
back through the archives here when I was originally looking at using
FireWire drives in Software RAID on a LINUX box as my "server"
and was
having trouble with the FireWire drivers "being shite" I muttered
something
about "I'm never re-ripping all these feckin' things ever again"
and fully
intend to stick with that principle...

When I moved over to Windows Home Server and lost the ability to do my own
fettling of exactly where (on which disc) my data was stored I was
concerned
that, because I wasn't going to be running Software RAID or having folder
duplication turned on for the movies shares, then if WHS happened to put
all
the .IFO files from the folder structures on one drive (quite possible if
it
had bits of space to fill up that a big ol' VOB file wouldn't fit into) and
that drive went down then not only would I lose the movies on that drive
but
effectively I'd lose all the movies that the IFO files on that drive
related
to. (You see what I mean?)

Anyway - I found a bit of software called "ImgBurn"
(http://www.imgburn.com/) which can be
used from the command line and wrote
a little wrapper batch file to read the names of each folder on a drive one
at a time and then call ImgBurn to create an ISO of that folder.

Helpful hint - don't do what I did and be cocky and make your batch file
delete the source folder as it converts and then run it without testing it
first ... I did that and batch converted my first drive (Movies starting
with 0-9, A or B) but got the command line a bit wrong, converted each
folder to an ISO that had the same name each time, ended up with a 1Tb
drive
with lots and lots of free space and a single file called
"Moviename.ISO"
containing a beautifully ISO'd image of "Butterfly Effect 2,
The"... :-D

150(ish) movies into the great bit-bucket in the sky. Still re-ripping them
back again slowly. :-(

> I also agree with AnyDVD - absolutely vital for decrypting dvds.  I
> haven't had any problems since switching to this.

Yup - I know you can do it for free with other apps but life is just too
short to spend it fannying about ... AnyDVD and CloneDVD just work! :-D

Phil