RE: Re: Bathroom project - Cbus style lighting system....1 room only though!!

  • Subject: RE: Re: Bathroom project - Cbus style lighting system....1 room only though!!
  • From: "Tim" <timsyahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 22:03:51 +0100

Hi Noel, glad you like it :-)

Try this one:
http://www.danlers.co.uk/pir/ceflpirsealed.html
I've only just skim-read the description, but I think if you put the
time-clock in the place of the "alternative switch" (see wiring
diagrams)
you'll avoid the lights always coming on for a minute or so when they enter
auto mode at night. Double check your wiring though to avoid breaking
something...

I forgot to mention I have my garage light - the one inside the garage - on
a PIR (not a Danlers PIR though) to avoid it being left on all the time and
it works very well.

Also try http://www.cbus-shop.com/ for Cbus
gear.

Good luck,

Tim.

wrote:

> > Noel,
> >
> > I'm sure a CBus solution would give great flexibility but you're
> > paying a lot of "overhead" if you only do one room.
> > I reckon you can do DIY the "dim night light on a
sensor" thing for
> > around =A3100 =96 it won't be based on any fancy automation
though. It
> > also assumes that the lamps/transformers you already have are
suitable
> > for dimming.
> > (it's based on a scheme I've been thinking about for my bathroom,
but
> > I don't want the PIR bit)
> >
> > You'd run two parallel circuits from the existing ceiling rose to
the
> > light(s) you want to come on dimmed. One circuit is as now =96
just the
> > switch. The second circuit contains a time-clock (get an
electronic
> > one so it doesn't drift in power cuts), a PIR (some
"nice"
> > ceiling-mount ones around =A330-=A340) and a conventional dimmer
switch
> > (conventional as in one you'd fit to a wall box but suitable for
> > dimming the type of lights you have).
> >
> > Your existing switch works at all times so if you get up early to
> > catch a plane etc you can still put the lights on full with the
cord.
> > The second circuit only works between the on/off times you set
(e.g.
> > midnight to 5am). When the time clock is off the PIR output
doesn't go
> > anywhere, when the time-clock is on the PIR switches on the
lights
> > through the dimmer switch which you've manually set to get the
right
> > light level.
> >
> > The only potential problem is that I've found PIRs always come on
when
> > power is first applied, then go off. So having it after the
time-clock
> > means the light would always come on at midnight (or whatever)
when
> > the clock circuit is activated. I couldn't see how keeping it
powered
> > 24/7 would only activate the light between set times.
> >
> > The time-clock and dimmer could go in the loft, or perhaps in the
> > airing cupboard to make adjustments that bit simpler. You'd
probably
> > want to fit a master isolation switch in front of all the smarts
too =
=96
> > just to make sure the auto side of the circuit doesn't
unexpectedly
> > become live if the clock gets out of sync. Fixed wiring
time-clocks

wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I remember reading way back about someone who had a lighting
setup
> > > whereby they have occupancy detection so lights come on
automatically
> > > but with intelligence, i.e. if its 0200 only turn the
landing/bathroo=