Fw: Re: Anyone here use Z-Wave, and specifically with a Comfort ZWave UCM ?

  • Subject: Fw: Re: Anyone here use Z-Wave, and specifically with a Comfort ZWave UCM ?
  • From: "noughtomate" <balraj_jassal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 10:45:36 -0000

Hi,

On the status of the device, I guess it comes down to how you use
it.

If it is ONLY controlled by Comfort, then potentially Comfort will
always be aware of it's state. If however, it is controlled locally
or via a remote, then Comfort I  will be out of sync with it's state.

The Comfort Z-Wave command set allows you to check the status of all
or one specific Z-Wave device using a single command. You could use
this command before any 'Fire to Z-Wave device X' to see if the fire
command is necessary or to perform some other state based activity.
As I said, I'm not using this live and have only been testing it
using the Comfort Control pad... (I only have 2 controllers so far!)
I don't think the status check takes any time. It's just an
additional step you may need to consider in your Comfort
programming.

On the noise front - firstly X-10 ... Tell me about it!

The Z-Wave devices do make a noise but not as loud. All I can advise
is to try it out.

In order of noisiest to quietest I would say :
X10 (old generation) -> X10 ^2 (new generation) -> Z-Wave

... but only marginally.

Hope this helps.

I think I need to get my a7se in gear and finally implment it. I've
been sitting with this UCM far too long without using it!

Cheers,

Balraj

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Gareth Cook <g@...> wrote:

> Hi Balraj
>
> With the modules, do you have to query them to get the status, or
does
> Comfort always know the status of any given zwave module ?
>
> Also, the on/off modules (not dimmer) - how loud is the local
relay on the
> device ? Old X10 units are very loud, and the new ones are better -
but
> how loud are the zwave units ?
>
> TIA
>

> Hi Gareth,
>
> I have the Z-Wave UCM and a few modules, but I've only
experimented
> with it. None of the modules are actually live yet... I do plan to
> eventually upgrade from my X-10 modules.
>
> I was one of the first to start up with Z-Wave on Comfort so I got
> fair bit of support from Chiu @ Cytech.
>
> My understanding is that the command structure is loosly based on
> RS232, but these are obviously not exposed using the Comfort
Action