RE: OT - New BluRay and AV Amp

  • Subject: RE: OT - New BluRay and AV Amp
  • From: neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:31:10 +0200

Well thanks for the info, I've now upgraded to Sky+HD (delivery 10th
Nov) s=
o that sorts the telly watching out ;)=20
The Panny BD30 is cheap becuase they are bringing the 35 and 55 out which
s=
upports BDLive (guess whose bought a magazine... ;)=C2=A0 so not sure what
=
to do there at the moment...
The Sony AV does support audio over HDMI so there's a plus.... it doesn't
u=
pscale though.

Thanks
Neil=C2=A0

Does the model specifically list video conversion of analogue sources to
HDMI? Some of the lower cost AV receivers do not convert at all, some
convert all analogue sources to component (although they may not upscale
th=
resolution) but only switch HDMI sources and a limited few convert analogue
to HDMI.

You will also need to check the manual for the AV receiver to see what it
does with audio over HDMI and whether it can be passed on to the TV. My
Onkyo has a setting to either enable/disable this feature, not sure about
the Sony range.

Although it is extra cost Sky are offering an upgrade to SKY HD for
=C2=A37=
5 and
I=E2=80=99m sure this includes free installation even for existing
customer=
s =E2=80=93 offer
runs during October. If you do upgrade then you will also have to pay the
extra =C2=A310/month HD sub. This makes connections dead easy and means
you=
will
get much improved PQ from the HD material they show. If you stick with SD
then you either buy a RGB-component converter and run this to your AV amp,
connect via S-vid (no converter needed), or connect Sky direct to you TV
with a scart lead of the appropriate length and only run audio through the
AV amp.

You might also want to look up the Panasonic BD30 on Amazon, slightly more
than the BD1500 but quite a bargain all the same until the stocks run out.

Neil B.

_____=20