Re: Room occupancy detection and door opening/closing - 1-wire or wi

  • Subject: Re: Room occupancy detection and door opening/closing - 1-wire or wi
  • From: <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 14:03:59 +0100

This would be a cool thing to achieve, and initially seems to be easy
until you consider the workability of any system.  Still I have a couple of
questions.

Has anyone tried an RFID based solution - apart from the 1 obvious drawback
(if you don't carry the tag it won't work) it could give you what you seek
- I personally have my phone on me/with me 95% of the time, so an RFID tag
stuck to the back of that would work almost all the time for me - for SWMBO
I could glue one to each left shoe she owns (What is the price for 750 RFID
tags?).  That guy at Reading Uni has implanted one under his skin which is
a bit extreme, but almost every pet has one now - Or I guess you could use
the RFID to rule out the Pet triggers of other occupancy detection systems.

Similarly what about webcams?  They are small, cheap, high resolution and
subject to USB line lengths you could run them into a single box - I have
seen some nice movement detection software available free - rather than
capturing images you could set an occupancy bit based on the previous n
seconds of motion history and do some Boolean stuff with the other sensors.
 . .  It would have the added benefit of interface with the alarm so if it
saw movement when the alarm was armed it could record it.

It would be interesting to see what a fisheye lens on a webcam mounted in
the centre of a room ceiling could detect over a period of a week. Or an IP
security camera come to that - might be worth a try...

Tim.