From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Paul Bendall
Sent: 17 October 2008 21:24
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: [OT] Office X-serve vs windows standard server 2008

Interesting argument about cloud. To me surely it comes down to the data
your company produces and how important it is to you. One thing I always
tr=
to explain is the business own the data, IT only provides the facilities to
access it. Backup and restoration really can't be under estimated in terms
of time, effort and size. A 7GB mailbox is great but how long will it take
to restore for a accidental delete, investigation, etc?=20

People say disk is cheap but it isn't if youconsider total cost of
ownership. Storage is connected to a server, it draws power, it needs
cooling, it needs redundancy, it needs to be highly available and
recoverable, someone needs to maintain and support it. How long can your
business survive without email or files? What would happen if a workman
goe=
through the power cable outside your office or the internet connection?

Even if you get your data back what is the impact on your reputation?

Paul

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Mark McCall" <lists@...> wrote:

> > We are a 45 strong office looking to expand. Currently we only
run=20
> > Windows PCs, but we many have a couple of Macs later.
>=20
> I was specing new hardware and SBS for our small office LAN (20
machines).
>=20
> In the end though I moved our people onto Google apps, after having
some
> (UKHA_D) friends recommend it, and then reading how the Telegraph=20
> newspaper were moving 1,400 Exchange seats onto it too.
>=20
> We've had it runnng for a month now.  We're on the free version and
even
> this gives a 7GB mailbox for each user.  Most people are using the=20
> webinterface - using Google Chromes save-as-app feature, one or two
are
> using iMAP to outlook, and I am using on Mac, PC, iPhone etc. We're
using
> shared calendaring too and it's great.  Only thing missing is a
shared
> central set of Contacts, but I've just imported our Outlook
contacts into
> each persons setup so we can work around that.
>=20
> There are of course issues with having your email in the cloud,
what if
> you internet connection goes down for example (we have a Vigor 2820
with a
> 3G USB modem as backup).  What about backing up your email?
Privact=20