RE: Re: NAS or WHS

Hi Phil

My understanding is the WHS storage management is actually based on DFS
(Di=
stributed File System, not a sofa warehouse) like technology, rather than
t=
raditional RAID as we know & love.

Now, I see absolutely no reason whatsoever why the two couldn't happily
coe=
xist, considering that when you add storage to the WHS, you have the
option=
to add (or not add) it to the servers' storage pool... If you choose to ad=
d it to the pool, then it is subsumed into the storage management
mechanism=
and thus ceases to be an independent volume - no longer appears as its own=
drive letter for instance, - and all the standard shares begin to use it t=
o duplicate the data... (presuming you haven't disabled duplication)

Alternatively, you can add storage and elect *not* to add it to the pool.
I=
n this case it behaves just like any other disk on any other Windows 2003
s=
erver...

The WHS just sees whatever "disks" you have attached to the
server, pretty =
much regardless of how they're attached, be they SATA, IDE, USB, Firewire,
=
etc.. and I'd absolutely expect that this would/will also include a
hardwar=
e RAID array, which after all is configured outside of, and entirely
indepe=
ndently of, whatever OS you choose to put on the box (of course you'll
need=
suitable OS drivers to make best use of it).

I know there are lots of warnings about not doing various things with WHS
s=
torage, but as far as I've ever been aware, these refer to storage that is
=
in the pool.

I'd be inclined to give it a go, - I'd be shocked & stunned if it
didn't wo=
rk, after all, WHS is 99% 2003 server, with 1% extra stuff to make useable
=
by numpties....

My main Windows 2003 server has this arrangement, 3 x 320 SATA's in RAID
5,=
yielding a 640GB useable volume. Windows' disk manager just sees a single =
large "disk" attached, which it then uses as normal. WHS should
be no diffe=
rent.

Just my =A30.02

Paul G.

like strategies
> under WHS - is that correct? Do you really have to have everything
> duplicated (mirrored) to have data security or can you actually have a
> RAID
> type of setup (which is still extendable) under WHS?
>=20
> Phil
>=20

storage (for
> > example my "Movies" collection) set up as a software
RAID5 array can