Re: MS Server 'Cals' ?

Thanks.

So...  Just to clarify :
If I purchased MS-Server2008 with only one CAL, then only one client
device (whether Windows, Linux, or Media Player) could access the
file shares ?

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, John Murray <John@...> wrote:

> A CAL is a Client Access Licence and most MS Apps use them.
> You buy a base OS licence like Windows Server 2008 Standard in a
number of ways.  If you buy Full Packaged Product from PC World etc
it should come with 5 CAL's included.
> These CAL's allow you to use 'advanced' features of Windows Server
like Active Directory, Remote Desktop,  and file and print services.

> If you just install your own application on a Windows Server, that
uses its own authentication, and connect to it across the network,
then you don't need any CALs.

> Mostly though, we all use CAL's.  CAL's for Windows are not
concurrent.  You need a CAL for every person that uses the server, or
for every device that uses the server.  This way you choose the
method that best suits your business.  If you have 5 PC's and 5
users, but they all login from home, and have PDA's that sync email,
user CAL's will be cheaper than trying to licence all those devices.
If you had a call centre with 50 PC's and 250 users who work in
shifts, device CALs would be cheaper.  Easy.

Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109