RE: Can you change a M/Board & Graphics card without reinstalling XP ?

I've done this quite a few times - mostly pretty successfully.

Key is to check for items such as RAID drivers (if you have RAID arrays on
=
a M/B) and chipset drivers etc. A bit more difficult if you're changing
fro=
m Intel to a non-Intel chipset etc but should be OK.

If you back up the data with something like ghost, it's worth a try anyway?

Paul.

"de-activate" and
> require
> reactivation, most probably it will demand phoning Microsoft to get
> them to
> allow it, since it will likely think it is a copy installed on a new
> computer... - I believe there are also EULA restrictions on OEM
> versions
> that actually prohibit some of these changes...
> >
> > You should be able to have Windows re-detect all the hardware
changes
> automatically and update all the drivers for the new bits on the new
> mobo.
> I've never done this "deliberately" - i.e. as a planned way
to upgrade
> critical machine, but I have done it numerous times
"accidentally" when
> testing out old hard disks and so on.
> >
> > I personally don't like the idea of doing it this way, - best
case
> scenario is that the Windows build starts up OK, goes straight into
the
> "Found new hardware" wizard, updates all the drivers &
everything is
> hunky-dory. - Even then, you send up with a load of old redundant
> drivers
> left behind for hardware that no longer exists, and you may end up
with
> less
> than optimal drivers installed for some devices..
> >
> > Worst case is that some items are *so* different that Windows
won't
> even
> start up successfully on the new hardware... - I've seen this happen
> many
> times too, - windows will for example BSOD during the boot up, or
> perhaps
> refuse to "see" the disk it is installed on...
> >
> > I'd much prefer to do a new clean install on the new hardware,
then
> spend
> some time transferring all the (required) files & settings over.
It's a
> bit
> more work, but there are some tools out there to make it a little less
> painful, and I think you tend to end up with a much leaner, cleaner
and
> hopefully more stable machine at the end of it as a result.
> >
> > Just my =A30.02
> >
> > Paul G.

] On
> Behalf
> Of
> >> Dean Barrett
> >> Sent: 17 November 2008 14:05
> >> To: UKHA Group
> >> Subject: [ukha_d] Can you change a M/Board & Graphics
card without
> >> reinstalling XP ?
> >>
> >> My HTPC needs speeding up as i cant get BluRay playback
properly -
> all a
> >> bit
> >> too jerky.
> >>
> >> Its also my server for CQC and other bits, so dont really
want to
> scrap
> >> everything and start again.
> >>
> >> So the big question is - can i replace the Mobo/Graphics and
RAM

Date:
> 16/11/2008
> >> 19:58

> > Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
> > http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109

> Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
> http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109

> signature database 3631 (20081121) __________

> http://www.eset.com

signatur=