Latest message you have seen: Re: TiVo About to Re-launch in the UK

Re: In wall touch panel heights to comply with building regs

Well, I suppose you could bury them under the plaster for now, but
it's
a bit of a pain.

But are you sure these rules even apply to touchscreens?  What about
alarm panels?  It seems ludicrous to have a rule that makes something
conveniently placed for a small minority of users, but which makes it
extremely inconvenient for everyone else.

Having plugs and switches higher from the floor makes sense - it helps
people who can't bend down easily (someone in a wheelchair would be able
to reach the old ones just fine), but a panel you have to read has to be
at eye height to be convenient - having it only 4ft from the floor would
make it unusable for almost everyone - including most disabled people.

Personally, I'd have never have touchscreensas the only way to control
lights.  What if the computer goes on the fritz?  What about kids?  Are
they supposed to wait until they are 13 or 14 to turn on a light? I'd
alway have simple, familar mechanical controls, with the HA stuff as an
alternative override.  If you have those, the problem goes away and you
can put the touchscreen wherever you want.

Mal

Darren Karp wrote:

> Hmm.problem there is that building control will say what is that wire
> hanging out the wall for and where is the light switch!
>
> From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
> [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>]
On