From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Davey B
Sent: 29 May 2008 18:24
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] LogMeIn or something else ?

Need a solution to access my home network from the internet - standard
windows XP/ Vista / server 2003 and one Ubuntu box (although not too
fussed about connecting to this). Netgear RangeMax router DG834PN. I
don't have a static IP address (real internet) but the dhcp address
the router picks up from my ISP doesn't change very often.

I'd initially only connect via my laptop -  but this would be via
public / hotel wifi (not a known static address - so I'd have to
configure the router to allow in from anywhere) so I could install
whatever software would be required for secure access then perhaps use
remote desktop to get to the boxes for checking the status of home
when I'm away.

Don't need sound from the remote (home) end or file sync  - just the
abilty to manage the boxes - check for patches etc.

I was looking at "logmein free" as a solution. Anyone like to
suggest
anything else ?.
Happy to spend some cash to do this if it makes it a more secure way
of opening up the network to the internet.

ta.

Davey