Re: Multi room audio Sonos or what else?

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "ianh1000" <ianh1000@...>
wrote:
> what I realy want is a low power home media server that does not run
> Microsoft operating systems and can store all my media, backup other
> devices. I would also like to be able to buy a TV/local device that
> can play all my media without having half a dozen boxes each with its
> own PSU!

I've decided to go the route of 2 servers running Linux for all my
home services:

(1) a HA server which is a "relatively" low power AMD Semperon
box
running Linux and acting as PBX (Asterisk), 1-wire recording of room
temperatures, email server, MythTV master backend with *NO* actual TV
cards, DHCP server, etc.

(2) a Media server to store all my ripped CDs (MP3 currently, soon to
be FLAC), with multiple DVB-T cards (Freeview) and soon a DVB-S/DVB-S2
card (Freesat) running as a MythTV backend for recording TV & Sat.

The HA server will use Wake-on-LAN to only power up the Media server
when needed for recording or whenever needed for music playback or
watching TV.

I'm looking at using a Mac Mini as a MythTV frontend.