Re: Multi room audio Sonos or what else?

  • Subject: Re: Multi room audio Sonos or what else?
  • From: "Ian Bird" <ian.bird@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 20:37:50 -0000

> I really like the sound of the Sonos kit, I just wish it had a
slot
> for a little SATA drive in a master zone player, or am I missing the
> point?

Yep, just a little ;-) The philosophy is one music source and multiple
distributed players. Put the music on one of them and then turn it off
all the others die. Add the same music to all and you have multiple
drives all containing the same info. Not a massive amount of power
difference between an internal and external drive these days (I would
hope) so a single source makes a lot of sense.

At least one of the zone players has to be connected to the Internet
too. This enables Internet radio plus updates etc. I have mine
connected directly to Ethernet and then the nearest PC plugged into
the bilt in switch. Auto sensing too so anything can plug in anywhere.

> what I realy want is a low power home media server that does not run
> Microsoft operating systems and can store all my media, backup other
> devices.

This is what my ReadyNas does

> I would also like to be able to buy a TV/local device that
> can play all my media without having half a dozen boxes each with its
> own PSU!

I use an HD MediaBox for this, at least for TV stuff. Way cool and my
5 year old has mastered it!! - Roll on Barbie films *groan*

Enjoy

Ian