Re: Suggestions how to make use of solar panels

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 10:08 PM, brougham Baker
<bro-yahoo@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

>   The price of lead has doubled in the last 12 month (a lot like
copper
> did).
> This means that used/cheap/free means knackered! A poor batter will
never
> charge properly and will use more than the output of the PV part. A
car
> battery isn't a deep cycle type either.

You are of course correct, I was thinking that if it was only discharging
the battery a bit, say 15%, it would work for a while and be pretty
cheap...
Looking at the sums now, I'd guess that it'd have to have at least 24AH of
usable capacity, prob. near to 36... I'd need a bank of old tractor
batteries...

Looking at the price of 'cheap' new car batteries, they seem to be very
expensive... LOL It's been a while since I've bought one...

I guess the answer is to buy a decent used deep cycle battery off Ebay,
pref. locally... and much bigger solar panel than planned...

That and leave it til I've finished to the solar water heater first... :)