Suggestions how to make use of solar panels

  • Subject: Suggestions how to make use of solar panels
  • From: "gearboxgraeme" <gkjones@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 20:56:03 -0000

Ive been lurking on here for years and done various bits of home
automation ( x10, temp loggers, camera etc. ).

I finally decided I want to get some solar PV panels.

Problem is Im currently in a rented house so a bit limited on what I
can do, therefore looking for advice.

Im thinking of getting a couple of 40 watt solar panels - PV, not
solar water heating - rented house ;{

These would get a good load of direct sunlight for most of the day in
the back garden. I already have a charge controller and a 110AH deep
cycle battery. ( extra ones arent too bad - 85ah ones make the most
financial sense )

I recently bought a 300watt maplin invertor ( which did my 32inch CRT
TV for a while - battery voltage dropped too low after about 20 mins ).

Im now after suggestions as to what other people do with their solar
panels.

eg. what can I effectively power using the panels - either 12v stuff
connected directly to the battery, or else via the invertor.

I did a quick try with the washing machine but that was a complete no-go.

My mains plug meter reckons it only uses 85watts and the invertor is
rated 300 watts but the extra motor current was too much.

I would like to replace the ceiling lights with 12v led bulbs and then
run the lot directly from the battery but that will have to wait until
I buy a place again.

Any other ideas gratefully received as I cant really think of anything
with low enough power to cope with the invertor but high enough to be
worthwile.

Is it possible to get PC PSU's that operate from 12vDC instead of
mains ? ( Yes, but the cost of ones Ive seen capable of driving my
games/desktop PC would be prohibitive )

Graeme