Re: eee PC

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 5:39 PM, James Crossley
<jimmyc1163@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am looking for a new laptop for work/internet. The eee PC looks like
the
> perfect choice. Has anyone got one / had a good go on one?

If you mean your main PC then forget it.  The keyboard & screen are
too small for anything other that a couple of hours lightweight use
per day.

When I'm at home I connect it to my KVM (via USB as the eee does not
have PS/2 connectors) so I can use a full-sized keyboard/monitor and
mouse and it that configuration it's a very nice machine.  When away
from home I usually carry it in it's neoprene sleeve at the top of my
rucksack.  It's rugged enough to have survived so far with no further
protection.

> I am planning to dual boot it with XP.

In which case you might as well scrub the supplied OS and just use XP.
The internal drive is so small that most people who are dual booting
end up using an external memory card to get everything to fit.

The supplied OS is Xandros but it is several years old.  From the
forums it appears to have some serious Wi-Fi problems.  May people
report problems with encryption, DHCP and with Samba (file sharing
with Windows) not working.

OTOH, XP works like a dream and the user manual have instructions for
installing it.  The forums and wiki offer further advice to get the
best from XP.  XP also has a better video driver.  Remember though
that the eee has no CD/DVD drive so you'll need to borrow a USB drive
to read the XP install DVD.

One final word, Asus now produce a range of eees with slightly
different specs.  My experience (and it seems most of the people on
the forums) is with the 701 4G.  Make sure you know which versions you
are getting and check it's specs carefully.  The 'surf' versions only
have a 2 gig drive and are supplied without the neoprene sleeve.

Nick.

Home and Garden/Repair and Improvement: Welcome to the
"homevision-users" list, establishe...

exstreamer (58 common members)
Security/Hardware: User discussion group for the Barix Exstreamer(TM)...

CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO (52 common members)
Home and Garden/Repair and Improvement: This list is for the discussion of
CNC and related...

DoIt_Yourself (37 common members)