CAT5E or CAT6

  • Subject: CAT5E or CAT6
  • From: Robin Edwards <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 15:20:53 +0000

Currently having extension built on my house and in a discussion with
the
builder's electrician he asked if we wanted any cat5 or cat6 installed.  Up
until now I'd been gradually moving to wireless, which in a house with two
limestone walls in the middle (best part of two feet wide each) has been a
bit
tedious and required a wireless bridge.

Since he left I started thinking that given current issues perhaps staying
on
wire makes a lot of sense and while house is in upheaval now is time to
sort it
once and for all.  We will be putting holes thru both of the problematic
walls
very soon.

Next I checked price of Gbit switches and they are nowhere near as high as
I'd
expected (few tens of pounds).

So, I think I'll get two cables per room laid except study that gets three,
but
based on peoples experience, what is best, CAT5E or CAT6?  My idea is one
for PC
one for video per room.  Comments?  Am I being mean?  I realise Gbe will
give me
little in web access but I'm more thinking of covering options for next few
years (I would say 5-10 yrs but been bitten on that before)

regards, robin