Re: Re: Apple Announce Raft of Updates and New Products at MacWorld

On 17 Jan 2008, at 11:07, Jim Noble wrote:

> Ho Yin Ng wrote:
>> I don't understand ... or perhaps I have not been reading enough
>> blurb.
>> To use time machine I need to have time capsule? I cannot use any
>> other NAS?
>> i.e. my synology?
>>

> At the moment, Time Machine will not back up to a destination on the
> network. The functionality was there in the pre-release version
> though,
> and presumably they'll turn it back on in the next OS release. I can't
> see how they could justify only turning it on for backing up to a Time
> Capsule though, but you never know...

Not correct, it will back to any shared volume. All 5 of our Mac's
backup to single firewire drive using Time Machine.
Make sure the volume is mounted and then go to Change Disk in Time
Machine in System Preferences.
What it doesn't do is backup to a usb drive connected to an Airport
base station.
This was meant to be, but got pulled....

Martin