Re: Re: Apple Announce Raft of Updates and New Products at MacWorld

Ho Yin Ng wrote:
> I don't understand ... or perhaps I have not been reading enough
blurb.
> To use time machine I need to have time capsule? I cannot use any
other NAS?
> i.e. my synology?

At the moment, Time Machine will not back up to a destination on the
network. The functionality was there in the pre-release version though,
and presumably they'll turn it back on in the next OS release. I can't
see how they could justify only turning it on for backing up to a Time
Capsule though, but you never know...

> Can the time capsule also be used as a NAS and can I backup my other
PCs to
> it?

I should think so. The current 802.11n airport extreme base station will
act as a NAS if you plug in a USB HD - the new one just has a HD built
in already.

> Does this mean I have to spend even more money?

Well, Apple is a bit strapped for cash you know - they only have $15B in
the bank... :-)

Jim