Re: HDMI Over CAT5 Gets Affordable

Hi Paul and all,

Ok, I installed a pair of these last Saturday night. They come as a
pair for 49.99. Small, neat metal boxes. One power supply (at the
receiving end). Two cat5 cables needed to carry the HDMI signal.

It took a bit of messing around to get it working but completely the
fault of my wiring and the cables I was using. Turns out a couple of
the sockets I was trying to use had wiring faults at the patch panel
(my fault!) that I hadn't noticed until now as I'd not used these
ports before. I also managed to use a crappy cable as well, so it took
a while to find and diagnose the problem.

My final fault was I the fact I had switched the V+ box back to HDMI
720 and not 720 wide and hadn't realised. So I thought there was
something else wrong (squashed picture) when it was - again - my
fault!

All-in-all a fun evening... ;)

For most setups it should just be a matter of plugging it in.

Anyway, I've been using it for a week now and it's great. V+ box is
quietly tucked away in n0. The picture seems as good as it was when
the box was under the tv.

Fully recommended, especially given the price.  The only thing that
would make it a better device is if they had built-in IR as well but I
don't know if there is enough (any?) spare wires for that. But as I'm
also using a pair of KAT5 to carry an s-video signal (xbox/cctv/fta
sky) and I have a xantac receiver too, I can live without it in this
setup.

John

On 03/01/2008, Paul Gale <groups2@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Cool - let us know how it goes - especially any subjective reports on
qua=
lity of a cable vs these boxes and a longish length of Cat5 if possible???