Re: Re: Logitechs Squeezebox Duet to Crash the Sonos Party?

IMHO wifi "dropouts" in people own homes is likely to
reflect the low
price point consumer equipment is made down* to - in terms of the
chipsets, firmware and 'antennas' (if you can those little twigs
that).  I worked with this stuff for many years (since the original
pre-802.11 equipment and before the term "wifi" was used) and
fitting
it to industrial environments we'd expect better performance than
often people seem to be experiencing nowadays in their homes.  Okay,
so that was shops & warehouses but often harsh environments for rf
(very solid walls, liquid etc,).  I dream to be able to afford a home
& grounds large enough to really warrant more than 1 AP.

I'm sure some people *do* have very very solid walls but most of the
time it to either be the quality of the kit (APs and mobile devices)
or
the other explaination would be general congestion of the band - with
only 3 non-overlapping channels, most APs only capable of pumping out
their maximum allowed signal and houses not far apart there *will* be
overlap.  DECT phones, wireless video senders, bluetooth phones (low
power and interoperate but there's so many of these... 4 in our little
house alone) etc,....

The Sonos kit is a premium product, not like most electronics which is
a race to the cheapest price.  Also if they are meshed then it wont
have been "off the shelf".  Both factors which suggest the
wireless
implementation is likely to be of a higher quality than a cheap device
with Wifi tacked on.

* - particularly so when "wifi versions" of things like DSL
routers
etc are sold for only a few quid more than without.

That's me done... off to get a drink to finish calming down...

On Jan 7, 2008 6:58 PM, Gary Tall <gtcs@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've never had a wireless drop out in three years that I've used wifi.
>  Considering for most of that time its been setup in a cold and drafty
>  barn jumping 40metres to a caravan I've been very impressed. Single
WAP
>  and one extender now covers approximately 3000 square feet. I have
>  mounted the wap very high though which I've found improves the range
>  remarkably.
>
>  G.

<http://tinyurl.com/3xraed>
com/3xraed