RE: SATA NAS with Ethernet?

> I'd agree the Hitachis are quiet - maybe not as good as Samsung, but
> definitely better than Seagate disks with that annoying head shuffling
> thing they do every few seconds.
>
> Mal

I haven't had chance to try the Samsung F1 1Tb drives yet - the info I hear
is that in theory they should be quieter and cooler than even the WDs as
they're using 3 platters at 334Gb per platter rather than 4 platters at
250Gb per platter in the WDs and 5 platters at 200Gb per platter in the
Hitachis.

As for the head shuffling on the Seagate drives, well, the commercial grade
drives do do that which I agree is quite annoying if you have them in quiet
kit however there is a DB35 series of Seagates which are intended for PVRs
and such like that not only don't do that at all but they also have softer
seek algorithms in them which really reduce the amount of seek noise that
the drives give off.

Phil