Re: SATA NAS with Ethernet?

Talking of transfer rate - one result of my server PSU blowing
recently
and taking out a drive was that Win2k permanently marked that drive
controller as PIO only.  Registry hacking is the only way to change it
back - but I didn't find that out until after I'd copied the entire
contents to another drive at 3Mb/s! :-(

I'd agree the Hitachis are quiet - maybe not as good as Samsung, but
definitely better than Seagate disks with that annoying head shuffling
thing they do every few seconds.

Mal

Phil Harris wrote:

> I mean fair's fair ... the Hitachi 1Tb drives are still pretty damn
quiet
> and either the Hitachis' or the Western Digitals' could be said to be
> pretty
> much silent beside the old stack of creaking 160Gb drives that they
have
> replaced.
>
> In fact my entire server (P4 2.53GHz, 1Gb RAM, 7Tb, 550w PSU) is quiet
> enough that it is actually in the bedroom with me where I'm lodging
whilst
> the solicitors sort out the purchase of my new house and it is quiet
> enough
> that I can sleep quite happily with it running. (OK - I have
temporarily
> taken out the 4-in-3 hot swap SATA backplanes as the fans in those
were
> quite horrendous but I've sourced some quieter fans for those too and
will
> get those fitted and soldered in when I get the time.)
>
> The WD's are just quieter and above all much cooler running as they're
> 5400rpm drives rather than 7200rpm (however they still beat the WD
Raptor
> drives for transfer rate).
>
> Phil

On