RE: SATA NAS with Ethernet?

I mean fair's fair ... the Hitachi 1Tb drives are still pretty damn
quiet
and either the Hitachis' or the Western Digitals' could be said to be
prett=
much silent beside the old stack of creaking 160Gb drives that they have
replaced.

In fact my entire server (P4 2.53GHz, 1Gb RAM, 7Tb, 550w PSU) is quiet
enough that it is actually in the bedroom with me where I'm lodging whilst
the solicitors sort out the purchase of my new house and it is quiet enough
that I can sleep quite happily with it running. (OK - I have temporarily
taken out the 4-in-3 hot swap SATA backplanes as the fans in those were
quite horrendous but I've sourced some quieter fans for those too and will
get those fitted and soldered in when I get the time.)

The WD's are just quieter and above all much cooler running as they're
5400rpm drives rather than 7200rpm (however they still beat the WD Raptor
drives for transfer rate).

Phil