Re: [ukha_d] Slightly OT: Joining cables to be used under water....

As an Oceanographic Engineer, I work with underwater cables all the
time. In my job I use proper underwater connectors and cable available
from suppliers such as http://www.pdmneptec.co.uk or
http://www.seaconeurope.com

However, for this application, I would try to replace the 1m cable with
a longer cable to eliminate the joint. This depends upon how the cable
is terminated at the pump. If replacement isn't possible (the cable is
potted into a compound at the pump) then use either a cable jointing kit
http://tinyurl.com/36dlzu or use Dow
Corning silicon rubber (732 or 734)
http://tinyurl.com/2ozamf over the
joint and when nearly set, cover with
self-amalgamating tape, followed by Scotch 33 PVC tape.

I have used the latter method down to 3500m in the oceans with great
success - several years use. This was joining rubber sheathed underwater
cable, and the rubber sheath was roughened using emery paper and cleaned
with an isopropanol wipe before sealing. It should work with PVC sheath,
but you would need to test it. Don't forget - not all silicon sealants
are the same.

One thing to consider with the cable jointing kits is the possibility of
the joint compound shrinking and cracking with low temperatures. The Dow
Corning silicon rubber is very good in this respect, you just need to
make sure that a good seal is made to the sheath.

Geoff