RE: [OT] Anti-virus / anti-spyware other essential programs?

I did see a reference to a PC Pro review, however they failed to
mention
that AVG 8 is almost here and addresses many of the user interface issues
and has a rewritten (faster) scanning engine. I've not had time to fire up
the AVG 8 beta yet, but by all accounts on the reseller chain so far it is
very good, so it might be worth the wait.

The free AVG is only checking for viruses, however there are many
categories
of "nasty", if you took the Internet Security version rather than
the free
version, then you would be watching for all current nasties whether
categorised as virus, spyware or malware (personally I think they should
watch for all issues, but I guess there's marketing and up-selling to
consider!)

Despite what others say, you're not 100% safe with a Mac or Linux though,
it's just that Windows is the easier target at the moment.

Alex