Re: Broadband ADSL Help

Mark,

I feel your pain. I am at the end of a long line, and we have had great
ADSL
from pipex for a few years. About 4 months ago we noticed drops becoming
more frequent, and since then I have been fighting with pipex tech support
(AKA monkeys).

I noticed a clear pattern - at about 8am, lunchtime, and 6pm the SNR drops,
followed by the router losing sync (connection drop).

I have had BT out twice, both times the SNR was high, and surprise surprise
they found no problem. We have neighbours (about 1 mile away(we're in the
country) ) with remarkably similar problems, so I have started recording
stats from their router and mine. (mine is the higher snr on the graph, his
drops a lot lower, and connection drops out more frequently)

http://simonmcc.dyndns.org:443/cgi-bin/graph?report=SNR+Down&nos=3&nos=73&filter=2008-02-03
<http://simonmcc.dyndns.org:443/cgi-bin/graph?report=SNR+Down&nos=3&nos=73&filter=2008-02-03>

http://simonmcc.dyndns.org:443/cgi-bin/graph?report=SNR+Down&nos=3&nos=73&filter=2008-02-04

<http://simonmcc.dyndns.org:443/cgi-bin/graph?report=SNR+Down&nos=3&nos=73&filter=2008-02-03>

I have also tried a variety of routers, including my trusty vigor 2600,
netgear DG 834pn and now a speedtouch 585 recommended on some forums.

My advice - start gathering stats, at least you will have evidence to check
if there is a pattern, and also to check when they say they've fixed
something! Also check with neighbours to see if they are seeing a problem.
The more people hassling their ISPs and BT the better.

Hope your fight goes better than mine,.

Simon

On 04/02/2008, Mark Golledge <markgolledge@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been having some problems with my broadband recently. About 6
months
> ago we moved across to Vodafone at Home from BT for broadband and home
> phone.
>
> Al has been fine except over the last few months I've come across more
and
> more times where my internet connection seems to be dropping
occasionally.

> Happened for quite a bit on Saturday to such an extent that I couldn't
get
> on the internet at all.
>
> Am using a Router (Netgear DG834G) connected via microfilter to the
phone
> line.
>
> No problems with wireless at all, that stays fine. It is the ADSL
light on
> the router which keeps dropping and then re-connecting.
>
> Have checked with Vodafone and they said it was the wireless but
advised
> them it can't be because the wireles is still connected. No
recognisable
> problem with phone line.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> --