RE: Windows Home Server - jesus!

> Could the disk numbering have changed when you added the new drives?
> There
> are no manual SCSI ID's to set here, so the Windows disk numbering is
> kinda
> based on what your rig sees first.

Not really - or at least not as far as I understand. I *BELIEVE* (I could
well be wrong) that WHS recognizes the drives by interface and device
number
on that interface - in fact the drives are shown under WHS as SCSI devices
with an interface number, channel number and device ID. IMO it's unlikely
that the disc numbering would have changed but I was remote desktopped into
the server at the time it went titsup.com and I think I saw a "Delayed
write
failure" error reported, it's possible that a dodgy SATA connection
may have
bitten (SATA connectors on cables are absolute sh*te - even latching ones!
manufacturers nightmare.) so I might try hot melt gluing the cables to the
motherboard SATA connectors as a belt and braces measure.

> In addition to removing the new drives, you'd also have to reboot to
> identify drive numbers again.  Make sure your disks are connected to
> the
> original SATA ports too in case you moved something around.

Yeah - I'd done that too, just in case. :-D

Phil

Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109