Windows Home Server - jesus!

  • Subject: Windows Home Server - jesus!
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 23:11:49 -0000

Well, Rebuilt my server with Windows Home Server at the weekend, have
been
copying data to it and adding new drives since Saturday and I have to say
that it has right royally f*ck*d up this evening .

I have 4 x 1Tb drives set up on it so far with about 3Tb of data copied
over
and for some reason this evening it has decided that two of the drives are
now to be labeled as "Missing" from the storage pool (but listed
as
available but "Not Added"), a third 1Tb drive is still listed as
a member of
the storage pool but its status is listed as "Not Added" even
though it is
still shown as part of the storage pool. All the data that had been copied
to the server is now showing as having "file conflicts" and there
appears to
be no way of getting WHS to re-add the drives (which it can still see) back
to the storage pool without erasing the drives first .

. so as far as I can see that's about 350 movies gone as well as a load of
documents that *SHOULD* have been "safe" because they were set up
in a
duplicated share under WHS and no obvious way to try to recover the data
from the drives. The drives don't appear to be in any sort of standard
format so the chances of recovery using the usual suspects in the data
recovery world are probably pretty slim and of course the file structures
are held separate to the files themselves so aside from still appearing
teasingly intact if you browse the network shares from a PC on the network
(but of course if you try to access anything it comes back with
"Access
denied" because the file contents no longer exist) there's nothing to
work
with on the supposedly "failed" drives in the way of a roadmap of
what files
are what.

As far as I can tell the catalyst for this event was my adding another 2 x
1Tb SATA drives to the server earlier this evening (not to the storage
pool,
just to the server itself) which should be OK to do as they're in hot swap
caddies.

Well, I guess I'm now at the mercy of the WHS forums to see if I can find
anything that will help get WHS to play game and re-import the drives that
know are there still otherwise I'm going to be *MIGHTY* p*ss*d off at the
loss of the documents which should have been safe and ye appear to have
been
lost from drives which WHS seems to think have failed but that it still
sees!

Grrrrrr.

Phil

Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109