Re: Windows Home Server - jesus!

:-(

Hope the forums come up good for you - I can only begin to imagine
how..disgruntled...I'd be if it happened to me!

Sounds like you need some sort of backup server....oh wait.... :s

Probably the last thing on your mind - - but WHEN you get it sorted, I'd be
interested to know how - I'm getting ready for a WHS setup at home, and
this
is the 1st horror story I've come across.

All the best

R.

2008/12/15 Phil Harris <phil@xxxxxxx>

>   Yup - t'was one of the first things I tried...
>
> :-(
>
> Phil

<phil%40avaddict.tv>>

> > > Well, Rebuilt my server with Windows Home Server at the
weekend,
> > have
> > > been
> > > copying data to it and adding new drives since Saturday and
I have to
> > say
> > > that it has right royally f*ck*d up this evening .
> > >
> > > I have 4 x 1Tb drives set up on it so far with about 3Tb of
data
> > copied
> > > over
> > > and for some reason this evening it has decided that two of
the
> > drives are
> > > now to be labeled as "Missing" from the storage
pool (but listed as
> > > available but "Not Added"), a third 1Tb drive is
still listed as a
> > member
> > > of
> > > the storage pool but its status is listed as "Not
Added" even though
> > it is
> > > still shown as part of the storage pool. All the data that
had been
> > copied
> > > to the server is now showing as having "file
conflicts" and there
> > appears
> > > be no way of getting WHS to re-add the drives (which it can
still
> > see) back
> > > to the storage pool without erasing the drives first .
> > >
> > > . so as far as I can see that's about 350 movies gone as
well as a
> > load of
> > > documents that *SHOULD* have been "safe" because
they were set up in
> > > duplicated share under WHS and no obvious way to try to
recover the
> > data
> > > from the drives. The drives don't appear to be in any sort
of
> > standard
> > > format so the chances of recovery using the usual suspects
in the
> > data
> > > recovery world are probably pretty slim and of course the
file
> > structures
> > > are held separate to the files themselves so aside from
still
> > appearing
> > > teasingly intact if you browse the network shares from a PC
on the
> > network
> > > (but of course if you try to access anything it comes back
with
> > "Access
> > > denied" because the file contents no longer exist)
there's nothing to
> > work
> > > with on the supposedly "failed" drives in the way
of a roadmap of