Re: Sony BDP-S550's - built in LAN and Java!

  • Subject: Re: Sony BDP-S550's - built in LAN and Java!
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 20:36:32 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Wayne <Wayne@...> wrote:

> Hi Mal,
>
> Interestingly - the reviews of this range all seem to rave about
the
> speed being very good between sticking disk in and starting to
watch the
> movie - didn't realise it was such a problem with blu-ray (not
having a
> player yet).

It used to be an issue with the PS3, until a software upgrade, but it
still continues to be a problem for some stand-alone players.  The
root of the problem is that Blu-Ray was launched before the specs
were complete (in order to stop HDDVD getting a head start).  As new
features have been added (one of which was the BD+ encryption), some
existing players have been found wanting.

> I take it looking at the posts following my original - 'backing up'
your
> blu-ray disk is now not an issue :) using AnyDVDHD, is it just a
case of
> 'copying' the contents with drag and drop onto your HD? Re-
authoring the
> 'rubbish' (extras) out or re encoding to a single file (mvk?) from
that

AnyDVDHD decrypts disks on the fly, so you can browse the disk and
copy files and they will be decrypted as they are copied.  For Blu-
Ray you can simply copy the main movie file (usually it is in a
single .m2ts file).  You then use a tool called TSMuxer to strip out
unwanted streams (it can also join multiple files if necessary).  For
playback, I use MPC-HC, but Phil mentioned using ArcSofts TotalMedia
Theatre without problems.

Don't bother with Nero Showtime or PowerDVD - Nero 9 has dropped
playback of HDDVD and BluRay, and PowerDVD won't play HD files from
the hard disk.

Mal

Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109