Fw: HDMI over CAT5

  • Subject: Fw: HDMI over CAT5
  • From: Gareth Cook <g@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 21:21:13 +0000

Rob

Those are the very units I tried from the very same retailer - and they=20
shafted me over refunds.

They only need the psu if you are using long lengths - and if you do, then=
=20
the psu only sits at the receiving end.

Again, it's all down to software and the price reflects how much is
spent=20
on that very software in the units. Geffen units are a few hundred
pounds=20
hence they generally work with everything and get s/ware updates. Avrio=20
will say "they work fine" - but they dont - they didnt like my
Panasonic=20
plasma, nor the Philips and LG LCD TVs - hardly Lidl spec. It's luck of=20
the draw with these. The less HDMI h/w you have in between the source
and=20
destination the better.

G.

Well I've set off something of a chain with that question eh :-)
Peter, I believe that "some" amps do repeat the signal but as
with all=20
these "standards" the "standards" vary! Go figure!

I do have the LCD in the lounge fed by a 15m cable (a =A317 cable from
CPC)=
=20
it runs into a wall plate at node zero and then into a 3m cable from=20
ebuyer (circa =A35) works perfectly! If you read most of the posts on HDMI=
=20
on AVForums it apparently shouldn't work and I should have spend at
least=20
=A350-100 on a cable.=20

The need for CAT5 is that I've decided to run the main bedroom and kitchen=
=20
LCD's with HDMI feeds from a matrix but I only cabled the wall TV points=20
with 3 x CAT5, VanDamme Coax (for a composite signal) and 240v.=20
Considering I've only just finished building this place and first and=20
second fixed all the wiring myself I really should know better eh! (In
my=20
defence it is fully wired for CAT5 in every room, including wall
mounting=20
points for LCD's etc and lighting is all C-bus. Can I be forgiven? :-))

Anyway I got into an email conversation with Sebastian from Avrio (A
link=20
re HDMI extenders from Marks site:=20
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/New-Products/HDMI-Over-CAT5-Gets-Affordable.=
html=20
or http://tinyurl.com/3ae36h ) and I have
ordered a couple of sets of=20
these HET003 units http://tinyurl.com/68ozrs they are
unusual due to their=
=20
small size and are self powered. Sebastian has confirmed that 1080p is=20
fully achievable over 15m of CAT5E. They should arrive tomorrow so I'll=20
give them a try over the weekend and report back.

I still need to purchase the matrix but I am tempted to try one of these=20
http://tinyurl.com/6g7765 as it seems
to get good reports everywhere I've=20
read. My plan is to split the signal from one output to the lounge and=20
kitchen as the downstairs is pretty much open plan and watching two=20
different sources would be pretty impractical. The other output will go up=
=20
to the main bedroom. A 4x4 matrix would be nice but they seem price=20
prohibitive.=20

Say what you like about composite signals in terms of quality but they=20
work every time. Seems to be more than can be said for HDMI which seems to=
=20
be a "plug and pray" type affair.=20

Would be interested in the make/model of your two matrix's Gareth?

Rob=20

Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109

Unless stated otherwise above:
IBM United Kingdom Limited - Registered in England and Wales with number=20
741598.=20