RE: HDMI over CAT5

Well I've set off something of a chain with that question eh :-)
Peter, I believe that "some" amps do repeat the signal but as
with all thes=
e "standards" the "standards" vary! Go figure!

I do have the LCD in the lounge fed by a 15m cable (a =A317 cable from
CPC)=
it runs into a wall plate at node zero and then into a 3m cable from ebuye=
r (circa =A35) works perfectly! If you read most of the posts on HDMI on
AV=
Forums it apparently shouldn't work and I should have spend at least
=A350-=
100 on a cable.=20

The need for CAT5 is that I've decided to run the main bedroom and kitchen
=
LCD's with HDMI feeds from a matrix but I only cabled the wall TV points
wi=
th 3 x CAT5, VanDamme Coax (for a composite signal) and 240v. Considering
I=
've only just finished building this place and first and second fixed all
t=
he wiring myself I really should know better eh! (In my defence it is
fully=
wired for CAT5 in every room, including wall mounting points for LCD's etc=
and lighting is all C-bus. Can I be forgiven? :-))

Anyway I got into an email conversation with Sebastian from Avrio (A link
r=
e HDMI extenders from Marks site: http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/New-Produc=
ts/HDMI-Over-CAT5-Gets-Affordable.html or http://tinyurl.com/3ae36h ) and I=
have ordered a couple of sets of these HET003 units http://tinyurl.com/68o=
zrs they are unusual due to their small size and are self powered.
Sebastia=
n has confirmed that 1080p is fully achievable over 15m of CAT5E. They
shou=
ld arrive tomorrow so I'll give them a try over the weekend and report
back=
.

I still need to purchase the matrix but I am tempted to try one of these
ht=
tp://tinyurl.com/6g7765 as it seems to get good reports everywhere I've
rea=
d. My plan is to split the signal from one output to the lounge and
kitchen=
as the downstairs is pretty much open plan and watching two different sour=
ces would be pretty impractical. The other output will go up to the main
be=
droom. A 4x4 matrix would be nice but they seem price prohibitive.=20

Say what you like about composite signals in terms of quality but they
work=
every time. Seems to be more than can be said for HDMI which seems to be a=
"plug and pray" type affair.=20

Would be interested in the make/model of your two matrix's Gareth?

Rob=20

Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109