RE: Re: Automating the press action of a momentary switch

I would suggest fitting a small relay or opto-isolator INSIDE the PC
and
using the jack socket to feed power into the Pc to operate the relay/opto.
Long leads can act as an antenna and pick up radio signals causing severe
problems.

I once modified some CD players to have remote start for a radio station we
were running. Everything worked perfectly during rehersals but as soon as
the transmitter was turned on the lead picked up interference and jammed
all
the controls on the CD player. Moving the relay into the CD player so that
it was connected to the switch contacts by only a few cm of wire cured the
problem.

That's how I control the PC I have fitted into my car, just a small relay
wired in parallel to the power button :)

HTH

Keith

> AFAIK, every PC has on the mobo, at the very least a jumper
> pair for the case power switch. Many, if not most these days,
> also have a jumper pair for a sleep switch too.
>
> I have in the past, re-purposed that power jumper, - instead
> of connecting it to the wee 2-wire header from the case, I
> have instead connected it to a mini-jack socket that I've
> fitted into the back of the case. Thus I can take a standard
> lead from, in my case, a comfort relay, terminated in a mini
> jack plug, which is thus connected to the PC's ATX power
> switch, and allows comfort to turn the machine on & off just
> as if I'd pressed the case power button myself...

Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109