Re: Automating the press action of a momentary switch

  • Subject: Re: Automating the press action of a momentary switch
  • From: "noughtomate" <balraj_jassal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 13:15:04 -0000

Right, so :

- Various PC's around the house (who's Mobo's do not support IR
switch on or Wake-On-Lan)
- DVD Player
- AV Amp
- Kettle (now that would be cool! X-10/Z-Wave will only let me
switch on once)
- Wii (don't think it's IR controlled)
- 200 disk DVD changer
- Sub-Woofer

I have a 4 year old son with special needs and although he's able to
operate most of the kit, I occasionally need to assist him
especially when I need my Weekend lie in! It would be ideal if I
could just operate these mechanical presses from my Mini Tablet PC
or automate switch on from movement detection using Comfort. I have
a Global Cache 100 IP to IR system (controlled by Embedded
Automation's mControl app), so I can switch IR controlling devices
without needing line of sight. The missing link is IR -> Finger
Press!

I'm almost certain my sub-woofer and my DVD disk changer would not
respond well to Mains Power off, hence why my fingers are still
valuable!

Also, I'm concious of power draw so truly switching off a device
would be ideal.

There must be several other devices I've not thought of.

Cheers

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Paul Gale <groups2@...> wrote:

> Just thinking a bit more on this - what exactly are the devices
that you're wanting to press a button on?

> Do they all produce an IR signal or are they a mixture of IR, RF
and others???

> If just IR, of course there's an easier way of sending stored IR
signals.

> Paul.

Behalf

wrote:

> > > How about clamping a Rampant Rabbit onto it and automating
that?

> > > It would certainly make a nice conversation piece in the
> > lounge.  ;-)
> > >
> > > Steve Morgan

You
might