[OT] : Hunt for a ¨nice¨ slimline external DVD writer...

  • Subject: [OT] : Hunt for a ¨nice¨ slimline external DVD writer...
  • From: Phil Harris <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 19:23:37 +0100

Just to close on my email the other day looking for a nice small
external slot loading DVD writer to use with my HP2133 I ended up taking
a punt on LinITX´s Panasonic slot loading DVD-RAM drive and their
external slimline USB enclosure.

Chris was as helpful as ever - said that some lappys can and some
can´t
power it off a single USB port but reassured me that even if mine
couldn´t then I´d be OK as the supplementary power cable that
comes with
the enclosure is completely independent of the data cable (the HP2133
doesn have two adjacent ports so rules out using those double headed
cables that come with some external USB drives).

Anyway - long story short, kit arrived Saturday morning (lying b*st*rd
postman *DIDN´T* knock on the door as I was sat behind it waiting like
an expectant father but package was soon recovered from local sorting
office) and works fine off a single USB port on the HP2133. The 2133´s
Linux install picks it up immediately and everything works hunky-dory so
chalk another one down to LinITX - nice one guys.:-D

Of course there has to be one ¨gripe¨ doesn´t there?  The
only one I can
come up with is that I´ve been trying to collect peripherals that all
have mini-USB connections on them (rechargeable Bluetooth mouse, mobile
phone, 3G data modem etc.) so I can minimise the number of cables I have
to carry around with me and this external case has a full-size USB
¨B¨
connector on it - no real issue of course but you can´t have
everthing. :-D

Phil